“Angelo Olivieri (Pitigliano, 1968, trumpet, flugelhorn, pocket-trumpet, composition, arrangement) is a trumpeter technically gifted, creative, curious, ready to embark on any project that involves something new, unusual, stimulating its lust for research and artistic growth. […] During his career he has put together different groups, always working in the field of experimental music … “. (Flavio Caprera Italian Jazz Dictionary – 2014 – Feltrinelli)
Musician appreciated by audiences and critics, since the first edition of the referendum Jazzit Awards stable figure among the 10 best Italian trumpeters and had numerous mentions in the TOP jazz both as an instrumentalist, both for his records.
In 2004 he recorded the CD Oidé with the Oidé ensemble. The CD, produced by the label Terre Sommerse – JèI in 2006 was indicated as one of the more interesting Italian Jazz production by the magazine M&D. With the same label he published Nadir with the pianist Alessandro De Angelis (2006) and Echoes with Pasquale Innarella, Armando Battiston, William Parker and Hamid Drake (2007). In 2009, his CD CAOS Musique has obtained an unanimous critics’ consensus, been defined “a wonderful example of contemporary imagination and sensibility” (Aldo Gianolio – Musica Jazz). In 2009 he also recorded as co-leader with the quintet Harafè, whose CD was presented at the JAZZ.PT festival.
In 2012 he publish three works: IF NOT – tribute to Mario Schiano, CAOS Musique – live @ casa del jazz and DIALOGO with the double bass player Silvia Bolognesi.
IF NOT , of the Olivieri – C Neto double trio has been indicated as one of the Best Releases of July 2012 in the NEW YORK CITY JAZZ RECORD.
In 2015 he recorder with his new quintet ZY project the CD Nowhere’s Anthem (JAZZIT Records).
With ZY project he realized the soundtrack of the docu-film “Qualcosa di noi” by Wilma Labate.
Since 2013 to 2015 he is the director of the world music ensemble Med Free Orkestra.
He participated to many important Festivals such as Roccella Jazz, Friuli Venezia Giulia Jazz, CeglieJazz Open Festival, Teano Jazz, Tuscia in Jazz, Festival internazionale del jazz della Spezia, Roma – Casa del jazz, Roma – Auditorium Parco della Musica, Roma – Concerto 1° Maggio, Piazza San Giovanni, L’Aquila 6 Settembre 2015, jazz.pt (Lisbona e Evora), Moazz (Fundao), European Jazz Nights (Oslo), Festival International de Jazz de Madrid, London Jazz Festival. He played also Washington DC (US), Astana and Aktobe (KZ), Bangkok (Thailand)…
Radio and TV
He participated as guest to many radio programs such as Salt Peanuts (Radio Città Futura), So What e On the Corner (Radio Città Aperta), Radio 3 Suite (RAI), Radio 2 LIVE (RAI), Brazil (Radio 1 RAI), Tropicalia (Radio 1 RAI), Notturno Italiano (Rai International), Jazz Not Dead (Radio Popolare), Acquarello Show (Radio Classica).
He also participated to the John Sinclair Radio Show (episode 149) on Radio Free Amsterdam.
The French Radio HDR has dedicated to him an episode of the radio program Jazz à part.
In 1999 he recorded “O bella ciao” popular italian song for a video work screened at the “Museo della Resistenza” Roma In 2006 he composed the music of the song “En tus pupilas”, the soundtrack of the shortfilm FIN by Esteban Crespo In 2012 he performed the soundtrack of “The Helix” by Arghya Basu (improvised music for trumpet and objects). With the same technique he realized in 2013 the music of the documentary “Diario di Felix” by Emiliano Mancuso. With ZY project he composed and performed the soundtrack of the docu-film “Qualcosa di noi” by Wilma Labate (2014).
He has been Art Director of the Music Festival “Note sulla Maremma” Pitigliano (GR) and Pepper Trumpet Jazz Festival (Vitorchiano)
William Parker, Hamid Drake, Butch Morris, Vincent Courtois, John Sinclair, John Tchicai, Maria Pia De Vito, Andrew Cyrille, Yves Robert, Giancarlo Schiaffini, Eugenio Colombo, Bruce Ditmas, Ares Tavolazzi, Paolo Damiani, Francesco Lo Cascio, Eddie Henderson, George Garzone, Lorenzo Feliciati, Alessandro Gwis, Pierpaolo Ferroni, Steve Jansen, Pat Mastellotto, Martin France, Armando Battiston, Silvia Bolognesi, Roberto Bellatalla, Riccardo Fassi, Tyshawn Sorey, Madya Diebate, Lillo Quaratino, Antonio Iasevoli, Federico Ughi, Alipio C Neto, Marco Ariano, David Riondino, Amir Issaa, Tony Esposito, Eugeio Bennato, Enruco Ruggeri.
He got a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Fluid Dynamics.
Selected Discography (as leader or co-leader)
- NOWHERE’S ANTHEM (Jazzit Records 88) ZY project
- DIALOGO live in Teano (Terre Sommerse/JèI016) Silvia Bolognesi – Angelo Olivieri
- CAOS Musique live @ casa del jazz (Terre Sommerse/JèI015) Olivieri, Courtois, Ariano, Pulli
- IF NOT – Omaggio a Mario Schiano (Terre Sommerse/JèI013) Progetto Guzman – double trio
- Harafè (Terre Sommerse/JèI009) C Neto, Olivieri, Peccheneda, Raciti, Ughi
- CAOS Musique (Terre Sommerse/JèI006) Olivieri, Courtois, Ariano, Pulli
- Echoes (Terre Sommerse/JèI004) Olivieri, Innarella, Battiston, Parker, Drake.
- Nadir (Terre Sommerse/JèI003) Angelo Olivieri – Alessandro De Angelis
- Oidé (Terre Sommerse/JèI001) Angelo Olivieri – Oidé Ensemble
Other selected works
- Unpeaceful – Federica Fornabaio (Sony Classic)
- Frequent Flyer – Lorenzo Feliciati (RareNoiseRecords) feat Alessandro Gwis, Pier Paolo Ferroni
- KOI – Lorenzo Feliciati (RareNoiseRecords) feat. Steve Jansen, Pat Mastellotto.
- BackGround (I-Company) Med Free Orkestra feat. Amir Issaa
- Franco Ferguson & John Tchicai Orchestra “Live @ Il Moro Jazz” (FF 2011)
- Franco Ferguson – Amazing Recordings (FF 2011)
- The Spiritual Man (Terre Sommerse/JèI008) John Thcicai and the Open Orchestra.
- En avant la Zizique (Stampalternativa) – Quartetto Vian .
- NOÈ (NED-CD-07) document of extemporary music
- iNEDiti (NED-CD-04) document of extemporary music directed by Angelo Olivieri and Marco Ariano.
- Provvisorio (Splasc(h) Records) Paolo Damiani and Alea Ensemble
[…] He plays both trumpet and flugelhorn with deep lyricism, without showing off virtuosity […]
Giampiero Cane – Alias (Il Manifesto)
[…] Twelve original pieces testifying the quality of Olivieri’s writing; lyricism, flashes of free, echoes of bop and alluring ballads […]
Marco Delle Fave – (Oidé review) Jazzit
[…] Out of his instrument comes an allusive and melancholy lyricism, even in the more informal interventions, that relaxes into a lively cantabile in the ballads […]
Angelo Leonardi – Allaboutjazz
[…] Olivieri’s trumpet is now bright and assertive, now charmingly folded on more intimistic sounds […]
Sergio Spada – Suono
[…] Olivieri shows half valves effects reminding the Ellingtonian trumpeter Cootie Williams and Lester Bowie […]
Francesco Martinelli – (Echoes review) Musica Jazz